"Specials" in a series?

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM
What should I name the file if it is a special episode in a series? Specifically, I'm looking at series 7 of "The Comic Strip Presents" and I don't know what to name the file for the episode "Sex Actually".

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=76387&seasonid=10303&lid=7

Thanks.

--Philip
Aug 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I am having this same problem with Doctor Who (2005), there are 3 to 4 specials a year.

I have got 2 different errors. When I was messing with the names I got:

Processing File : Doctor Who Season 04 - Special - Planet of The Dead.avi : Season : Unable to extract, Episode : Unable to extract
Processing File : Doctor Who Season 04 - Special - The End of Time - Part 1.mp4 : Season : Unable to extract, Episode : Unable to extract
Processing File : Doctor Who Season 04 - Special - The End of Time - Part 2.mp4 : Season : Unable to extract, Episode : Unable to extract
Processing File : Doctor Who Season 04 - Special - The Next Doctor.avi : Season : Unable to extract, Episode : Unable to extract
Processing File : Doctor Who Season 04 - Special - The Waters Of Mars.avi : Season : Unable to extract, Episode : Unable to extract
Processing Season 04 : Done.

Now I renamed the files to include "(2005)" and now I am getting:

Processing File : Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The End of Time (1).mp4 : Season : 20, Episode : 5
                File Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The End of Time (1).mp4 : Season : 20, Episode : 5
                Season 20 Not Found In Doctor Who (2005), Skipping
            The given key was not present in the dictionary.
            Processing File : Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The End of Time (2).mp4 : Season : 20, Episode : 5
                File Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The End of Time (2).mp4 : Season : 20, Episode : 5
            Processing File : Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The Next Doctor.avi : Season : 20, Episode : 5
                File Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The Next Doctor.avi : Season : 20, Episode : 5
            Processing File : Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The Waters Of Mars.avi : Season : 20, Episode : 5
                File Doctor Who (2005) S04 - Special - The Waters Of Mars.avi : Season : 20, Episode : 5
Processing Season 04 : Done.

After looking at the second error, adding the (2005) made the program thing it was S20E05

I will keep trying.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I am find that for mediascout to locate the season and episode it using any 4 digits together to determine that information. so 2005 turns into Season 20 Episode 05.

This seem to be creating the problem with Special, because they don't have an episode number so media scount doesn't know how to locate the information.

I tried 0400, but there is no episode 00.
I tried 04xx, but it can't even locate the season then.
I tried using the date that it aired, but got Season 20 Episode 09 from the 2009 in the date.
I tried count what number the special was and adding it to the last episode number so 13 episode and it was the 8th special episode 21, got episode doesn't exist.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM

ok, so reading another forum where they were talking about this. You have to use Season 00 for Special, but then you have to figure what episode number it is in all the special for the sessions.

so Doctor Who (2005) Special The Waters of Mars is Doctor Who (2005) S00E14 - The Waters of Mars

Luckly thetvdb.com has a list of all specials in a session with episode numbers so you can rename the files.

Might want to add this to the FAQ.

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
All specials episode has to carry Season number 0 in the name. For eg episode structure should be like XXX - S00E## - XXX.avi or XXX - S0E## - XXX .avi, where - XXX - are optional tags. MediaScout uses various regex patterns to extract the season and episode number from file, so if more numbers are presents in filename, it becomes ambigous to select episode/season number. As Plague001 mentioned adding year (2005) and (S##E##) in the same file will take first regex pattern detected as season/episode number.