MediaScout v3 Crashes at startup

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I had the problem where it couldnt save any metadata from version 2.0.7 and I found the discussion where it said this bug had been fixed so I downloaded the new version. And now It crashes on startup. I see the splash screen for a second then I get "MediaScoutGUI.exe has stopped working" message. Obviously I have .net 4 and all the requirements for version 2.0.7 to run so unless they have changed significantly, that wouldnt be the problem. I'm running windows 7 x64. If you would like me to debug the problem I can do that too but as a "recommended download" I probably shouldn't need to.

I would also like to take this chance to say the old v1.9 version is working fine and I guess I'll continue to use that. I haven't been a fan of the new one at all. Not just that it hasn't worked yet but the design and direction development is heading in general. I have coded a few of the extra features into the old version myself and found that suits my needs better. I can't be the only one that doesnt feel the need to have the program trying to manage 5tb of tv shows so that they are tagged incorrectly every time someone decides to update thetvdb to suit their own collection. One of the main features I require is the ability to select the DVD order of info (most notably to handle the fact that Firefly was played out of order on TV and it ruined the show) is still missing from the main trunk. If people are happy to let the program automatically sort all their shows then why not use the one built into media browser? Programs like mp3tag are more powerful by giving you a lot more control over the data and how you want to use it.

I'm trying to understand the thinking behind taking what was a simple and functional program and turning it into a complicated way to automatically load data. Especially given that this feature is already built into at least Media Browser (I haven't tried XBMC recently). If other people are interested in it, and if no one minds, I'll make a seperate branch for a simple yet powerful version and begin my own work on it again. Reply here if you're interested or if you have ideas and I can see what's possible.

Maz

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM
iammaz wrote:

I had the problem where it couldn't save any metadata from version 2.0.7 and I found the discussion where it said this bug had been fixed so I downloaded the new version. And now It crashes on startup. I see the splash screen for a second then I get "MediaScoutGUI.exe has stopped working" message.

krishmav:

Please could you mention the bug you are referring to. Also, please note that this a preview release, so its a unstable version.

iammaz wrote:

Obviously I have .net 4 and all the requirements for version 2.0.7 to run so unless they have changed significantly, that wouldn't be the problem. I'm running windows 7 x64. If you would like me to debug the problem I can do that too but as a "recommended download" I probably shouldn't need to.

krishmav:

Ofcourse, you are not required to debug the same, but you should be considerable enough to think from developers point of view, that an app running on different platforms would not produce same output. I am thinking of putting in crashlog component in the next release, so it would be easier to debug the same.

iammaz wrote:

I would also like to take this chance to say the old v1.9 version is working fine and I guess I'll continue to use that. I haven't been a fan of the new one at all. Not just that it hasn't worked yet but the design and direction development is heading in general. I have coded a few of the extra features into the old version myself and found that suits my needs better.

krishmav:

Could you mention all the features you like or dislike. or should be added in the application.

iammaz wrote:

I can't be the only one that doesnt feel the need to have the program trying to manage 5tb of tv shows so that they are tagged incorrectly every time someone decides to update thetvdb to suit their own collection.

kishmav:

Not sure where are you reaching there?

iammaz wrote:

One of the main features I require is the ability to select the DVD order of info (most notably to handle the fact that Firefly was played out of order on TV and it ruined the show) is still missing from the main trunk.

krishmav:

DVD order fetching has been implemented in MediaScout 4.0

iammaz wrote:

If people are happy to let the program automatically sort all their shows then why not use the one built into media browser? Programs like mp3tag are more powerful by giving you a lot more control over the data and how you want to use it. I'm trying to understand the thinking behind taking what was a simple and functional program and turning it into a complicated way to automatically load data.

krishmav: 

Could you be specific what features you think seems to be complicated and can be potentially simplfied.

iammaz wrote:

Especially given that this feature is already built into at least Media Browser (I haven't tried XBMC recently). If other people are interested in it, and if no one minds, I'll make a seperate branch for a simple yet powerful version and begin my own work on it again. Reply here if you're interested or if you have ideas and I can see what's possible.

Maz

krishmav: 

If you have any suggestions, ideas or critic about the app, let us know so we improve the app based on them. Not sure what you are asking for? But if you want to join the MediaScout team, you are most welcome.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM

This is specifically the bug I was referring to with v2.0.7 http://tvscout.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=222124 and the replies saying it will be fixed in 2.0.8 but that is not in the download section. It's a simple path problem that stops it downloading any metadata at all.

As a professional developer, I am thinking about this problem from a dev's point of view. As soon as it crashed I tried all the obvious problems, restarted the machine, made sure it was up to date, looked for a crash log, cleared the config file in case it was a problem with upgrading from 2.0.7. Then I included all relevant information that I could think of so you could ideally let me know if this had happened to someone else under the same conditions and how they fixed it. I suspect that most people downloading the recommended version and finding it crashes on startup probably wouldnt bother to reply and let you know. I am already committed to this great project from when I modified my 0.9 beta 2 version to fix the caching problems. I gave you all the information I could think of for you to look into the problem and offered to debug it myself and tell you what was going wrong. I'm just disheatened that it doesnt seem that any of the current available downloads are particularly working versions. Labelling them all as beta or preview isnt going to convince people to stick with the project if they havent seen it work. And community support would seem like a good thing to have.

Features I like / dislike.. (I can accept that to make a program that suits most people it needs to be configurable but to make it accessable to everyone it needs to be simple. I am more at the configurable end of the scale):
If you are familliar with mp3tag, when it matches an album, you get a list of expected files from the DB and a list of your filenames to match them to. You can move these up and down to suit. If you had the option to automatically apply the changes then you could essentially have the program exactly the same as it is but for those of us who check that the episodes match, it would save having to go to thetvdb.com and checking the names match before fetching data and renaming files. Once they are renamed its very hard to sort it out again.
A "Preview changes" process would be good. Where it would print out the log as if it was downloading pictures and renaming files, but without actually doing the work. So you could see if it was going to go very wrong before it messed up all the filenames. This would be easier to program than an "Undo" button but either would serve the same purpose.
If you are going to stick with letting the program manage entire tv show collections, the ability to drill down and update only a season or episode at a time would be useful. At the moment I create a clean folder structure with just the new episode in it each week, process that folder, then move the new data in with the rest of the show. If I don't do this, it will reprocesses all my correct data and if someone has changed the order or something on thetvdb.com (which can happen frequently until its locked by admins), it scrambles all my metadata so it doesnt match the episodes.
Allowing fetch by DVD order.
Crashlog (probably far more useful to the devs than the users, but it does making bugfixing easier)
I dislike the new UI. Its hard to be specific about it when I cant launch the program right now but basically. Lists are more usable than transparent text and pictures when dealing with very large amounts of data. I have several terrabytes of data that has been meticulously sorted, named and tagged.
It would be nice to be able to lock shows / seasons / folders from being modified by the program. I have manually corrected all the data stored on my nas and dont want it to be scrambled again by accident. Shows like Firefly.
Downloading actors is a great new feature. I love it. I miss being able to modify the regex that it applies to the episode filenames, and the order it applies them. (this was lost between when it was TV scout and when it was renamed to media scout).
As far as I can see, people who want more control over their data use scrapers to manually load data. The people who just want it to be all automatic turn on the "internet providers" tickbox in media browser. Adding advanced features, with the option to just automatically skip them and process anyway, would seem to be better for everyone?

I dont really expect that any of these changes will be made to suit me and I can honestly just keep working on updating my 0.9b2 version to add what I need. Ideally tho, I would like to be able to help with development and give back to the community anything I have made from communal work. I am a professional .Net developer but have never worked on someone else's community project. I wouldnt want to add my changes if no one else wanted them there. If anyone else wanted any of these features I would only be too happy to write the code because chances are that I'll write them for myself anyway. Or if it's more useful I could just work on debugging and finding solutions to problems in the issue tracker so that the current devs have more time to work on features. Consider this a +1 willing dev for your team if you're interested. I just want to make this great project even better.

Apologies for the long reply. Please excuse typos etc, its 2am.
Maz

[edit: put the line-breaks back]

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2010 at 12:43 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM
iammaz wrote:

This is specifically the bug I was referring to with v2.0.7 http://tvscout.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=222124 and the replies saying it will be fixed in 2.0.8 but that is not in the download section. It's a simple path problem that stops it downloading any metadata at all.

krishmav: 

The bug you are referring to has been corrected as mentioned with 2.0.8. I never released the 2.0.8 version as I wanted the user opinion on v3 Preview which was an upgrade on v2.0.8 only with few features added.

iammaz wrote:

As a professional developer, I am thinking about this problem from a dev's point of view. As soon as it crashed I tried all the obvious problems, restarted the machine, made sure it was up to date, looked for a crash log, cleared the config file in case it was a problem with upgrading from 2.0.7.

krishmav: 

Every new version creates a new config file by default as a part of .net platform. As I built the installer with VS only I doubt if upgrading could cause issues as its detects on its own all the files required for installation.

iammaz wrote:

Then I included all relevant information that I could think of so you could ideally let me know if this had happened to someone else under the same conditions and how they fixed it.

krishmav: 

I doubt if I missed it, but I never heard from you regarding this issue before. In case, could you refer me to the thread you started regarding the issue.

iammaz wrote:

I suspect that most people downloading the recommended version and finding it crashes on startup probably wouldnt bother to reply and let you know. I am already committed to this great project from when I modified my 0.9 beta 2 version to fix the caching problems. I gave you all the information I could think of for you to look into the problem and offered to debug it myself and tell you what was going wrong. I'm just disheatened that it doesnt seem that any of the current available downloads are particularly working versions. Labelling them all as beta or preview isnt going to convince people to stick with the project if they havent seen it work. And community support would seem like a good thing to have.

krishmav: 

First of all thanks for the support you have given to the project. Please dont be disheartened. I understand if MediaScout could meet up to your expectation, give the developers some time, as most of them are doing the development in their extra hours. Please try out v4.0 when its released. Its extensible with customization of UI, plugin based with extensions based on community or user level so everyone keep it the way they want.

iammaz wrote:

Features I like / dislike.. (I can accept that to make a program that suits most people it needs to be configurable but to make it accessable to everyone it needs to be simple. I am more at the configurable end of the scale):
If you are familliar with mp3tag, when it matches an album, you get a list of expected files from the DB and a list of your filenames to match them to. You can move these up and down to suit. If you had the option to automatically apply the changes then you could essentially have the program exactly the same as it is but for those of us who check that the episodes match, it would save having to go to thetvdb.com and checking the names match before fetching data and renaming files. Once they are renamed its very hard to sort it out again. A "Preview changes" process would be good. Where it would print out the log as if it was downloading pictures and renaming files, but without actually doing the work. So you could see if it was going to go very wrong before it messed up all the filenames. This would be easier to program than an "Undo" button but either would serve the same purpose.

krishmav: 

I dont think a preview features seems to be a viable choice, but a prompt for dialog box to enter season/Episode# or selection of episode could be done. Lets see if I could accustom this into v4.0 release.

iammaz wrote:

If you are going to stick with letting the program manage entire tv show collections, the ability to drill down and update only a season or episode at a time would be useful. At the moment I create a clean folder structure with just the new episode in it each week, process that folder, then move the new data in with the rest of the show. If I don't do this, it will reprocesses all my correct data and if someone has changed the order or something on thetvdb.com (which can happen frequently until its locked by admins), it scrambles all my metadata so it doesnt match the episodes.

krishmav: 

I am confused. Isnt that what all its there since the v 2.0 release. You can fetch/process single episode/season since v2.0 release. I am missing something or is that what you were looking for.

iammaz wrote: 
Allowing fetch by DVD order.
Crashlog (probably far more useful to the devs than the users, but it does making bugfixing easier)

krishmav: 

Both solved in v4.0 release

iammaz wrote:   
I dislike the new UI. Its hard to be specific about it when I cant launch the program right now but basically. Lists are more usable than transparent text and pictures when dealing with very large amounts of data. I have several terrabytes of data that has been meticulously sorted, named and tagged.

krishmav: 

That was major reason from v3.0 release. Its no longer pics based, its text for entire collection. Snapshot v3.0 preview 1 [http://download.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=TVScout&DownloadId=141111]

iammaz wrote:   
It would be nice to be able to lock shows / seasons / folders from being modified by the program. I have manually corrected all the data stored on my nas and dont want it to be scrambled again by accident. Shows like Firefly.
Downloading actors is a great new feature. I love it. I miss being able to modify the regex that it applies to the episode filenames, and the order it applies them. (this was lost between when it was TV scout and when it was renamed to media scout).

krishmav: 

All solved in v4.0.

iammaz wrote:   
As far as I can see, people who want more control over their data use scrapers to manually load data. The people who just want it to be all automatic turn on the "internet providers" tickbox in media browser. Adding advanced features, with the option to just automatically skip them and process anyway, would seem to be better for everyone?

krishmav: 

Skipping was introduced since v2.0.7. Process anyways seems to be a good option. Lets see if we can do this one too.

iammaz wrote:   

I dont really expect that any of these changes will be made to suit me and I can honestly just keep working on updating my 0.9b2 version to add what I need. Ideally tho, I would like to be able to help with development and give back to the community anything I have made from communal work. I am a professional .Net developer but have never worked on someone else's community project. I wouldnt want to add my changes if no one else wanted them there. If anyone else wanted any of these features I would only be too happy to write the code because chances are that I'll write them for myself anyway. Or if it's more useful I could just work on debugging and finding solutions to problems in the issue tracker so that the current devs have more time to work on features. Consider this a +1 willing dev for your team if you're interested. I just want to make this great project even better.

krishmav: 

Ofcourse, I appreciate your help. Could you drop me a mail regarding the same, so I can add you to the project.

iammaz wrote:   

Apologies for the long reply. Please excuse typos etc, its 2am.

krishmav: 

Not necessary. More input we have, better we could decide on problems.