Multiple Matches > Cancel = Crash

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2008 at 7:24 PM
I am trying (desperatly) to get TVScout to work, but for some reason, it seems to misbehave no matter what I try.  Here is my scenario...

I have a VM with Vista Ultimate
I have some selections from my tv collection copied locally to the VM.  Here's a directory listing...
C:\TVShows\South.Park\Season.01\South.Park.S01E01.Cartman.Gets.an.Anal.Probe-iND.avi
C:\TVShows\South.Park\Season.01\South.Park.S01E02.Weight.Gain.4000-iND.avi
C:\TVShows\8.Simple.Rules\Season.02\8.Simple.Rules.S02E01.Premiere-FreQi.avi
C:\TVShows\8.Simple.Rules\Season.02\8.Simple.Rules.S02E02.Sex.Ed-BAD.RECORDING-FreQi.avi
C:\TVShows\8.Simple.Rules\Season.02\8.Simple.Rules.S02E03.Donny.Goes.AWOL-FreQi.avi
C:\TVShows\8.Simple.Rules\Season.03\8.Simple.Rules.S03E08.Secrets-FreQi.avi
When I open TVScout 0.6, I had a hard time getting it to select the C:\TVShows folder (another issue)
Once the Fetch Data button is enabled, I uncheck Rename files and check the "Enable Batch Processing"
Then I click Fetch Data and a "Search Results" window opens saying "Multiple Matches for the TV series were found" but the list is blank
When I click Cancel, the program crashes.

I've tried changing a bunch of options like leaving Rename files checked, unchecking other options, tried selecting just the 8.Simple.Rules folder and not check the Batch processing option, but it still crashes.  If I try running TVScout on another computer (an XP box or even Windows 2003) I cannot get it to select a folder and enable the Fetch Data button.  I'm kinda stuck.  Any help?

[EDIT: Apparently Chrome acts funny with the forms.  text cleanup]
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM
I also have Visual Studio 2008 installed on this VM, so after the program crashed I decided to select "Debug" and the error says...

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
  Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
  Source="TVScoutBase"
  StackTrace:
       at TVScout.ProcessMetadata.ProcessDirectory()
       at TVScout.Window1.FetchMetadata(String seriesName)
       at TVScout.Window1.<btnFetch_Click>b__1()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
   InnerException:

Perhaps I should have posted this under the Issue Tracker.
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2008 at 9:50 PM

After some digging (downloading the source code and stepping through debug mode) a simple problem revealed itself.

Because I have all my Series.Names and Season.Numbers filled in with periods instead of spaces, it was causing TVScout to get 0 results when searching theTVdb.  After renaming my folders, it works.  I'll post a message in the Issue Tracker for some new error handeling or maybe the ability to character replace dots or something.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Hi There,

I would like to add that I am having the same "hanging" problem although the cause must be different.

I have been using the Ruby script up until today, where I find that the API has been close by the TVDB people.

I figured that this update of TVScout would get around that. Perhaps it does... but I can't use it!

I have the TVDB official naming structure in my directory (e.g d:\video\Numb3rs\Season1\01 - Pilot.avi) and even given this, TVScout tells me that it has found multiple options of series, provides an empty list and then crashes when closed.

I must say, I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the TVDB API... but I'm really not a programmer!

Cheers,
Eddy
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Eddy,

I made the folders and a file named the same as you've listed and I had it finding the metada for the series but not the season or episode.  When I renamed the season folder to "Season 01" (as opposed to "Season1") it worked fine.

However, this was on a build I compiled which has some changes to the folder/series detection, so my results may be different from the 0.6 release.  I hope to have something to submit to the team soon that might circumvent the need for renaming folders in a future release of TVScout.  In the mean time, try renaming your season folder.

Note: I am not on the dev team.  I'm just poking around in the source right now.
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 1:33 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2008 at 1:34 AM
I've already have a fairly decent solution in my modified copy of the code base that I was wanting to submit as a patch.

Basically it first tries using the folder name to search the database.  If it finds a single match, it just fetches the data for the series and moves on to the episodes (and if it's a batch, on to the next series).  If there are no (0) matches, a new window opens up asking for an alternate spelling and then searches again.  If multiple matches are returned, the existing box opens up and lets the user select the correct series.  What's nice about this is once the series.xml is present, it never asks for the series name again, so you don't have to rename your folders, just match it up right the first time.

The only thing I haven't corrected yet is the crash when the user hits cancel on the multi-result-selection window.  It's returning a null that is hosing up the works, but that's the same behaviour as before I added the search window.

Would you be interested in a patch for that?

I am working on a couple more "enhancement" to the user interaction windows.  For example, I would like to include the folder name that the dialoge box is working on.  I'd also considering adding the series banner in the preview textblock/expander...but I might be getting ahead of myself.

BTW: I also added code to pull down the series banner to banner.jpg with some plans on that for the future.
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 2:20 AM

I am pretty new to TortoiseSVN, so I may need to try a couple times to make a good patch, but I think I just right click and "Create patch..."  We'll see ;]  If you don't think it's dangerous to add me I'd be glad to have you add me.  However, I could probobly use some guidance on how to use the TFS server.

Also, I want to work out one more situation before I send up any code.  If I run out of time tonight I'll just send it anyway and note the issue(s).

As for the banners, I have a pretty ambitious goal to try an get Open Media Library to support TV Series.  Right now it just supports Movies, and I really like the looks of that plugin (also: I never for Sam's Video Browser to work right with my tv and movies, so I thought maybe I could start one from half scratch).  The banner.jpg's would be used for the main series display screen in a big grid, and when you're looking at the seasons and episodes, I envision placing the banner along the top of the screen.  Also, I just like the banners better than the boring DVD covers.

Eventually I intend to allow the users to select the banner (or poster) that they will download, but I am hopeing that I can accomplish that by using the user prefrences from theTVDB account instead of writting code to do it in TVScout.  It seems wise to store those prefrences a the site instead of locally anyway, but the API at theTVDB needs to be changed to support that.

*plug* Go here and click the thumbs up to encourage them to add this feature, heh
http://crowdsound.com/widgets/show_suggestion?aid=404&suggestion_id=1846

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 2:55 AM
I've uploaded the patch for my changes.  Let me know if that works for you, otherwise I can give Team Explorer a try.
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:39 AM
I've never used a patch before but I created it with TortoiseSVN.  You should be able to install that, check out the code and then right click the folder and Apply Patch.  I am not sure how it's done with the Team Foundation Server but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some method of applying the patches, especially considering they supply you with a mechanisim to upload a patch...

I still want to impliment something similar to what I've done to work with Season folders too.  After that, it would probobly be good to prompt users for unmatched video files, but that's probobly better done with some sort of listbox or grid so it could be done in bulk.  I'd personally like to just provide a list of the missed files, a text box to change the search string and then a button to rescan.

Did you get a chance to look at or work around the crash when hitting cancel on the "multi-match" window?
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 4:55 PM
BTW, fixed in 0.7!