i guess i can't use visual c# express

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM
I tried to run this from source code but i guess i can't use visual c# express I just tried to load the source code and push the play button and it didn't work. I tried in 2008 and 2010 c# express edition. I feel if I could get this to run from source code i atleast could catch the crash errors and fix them some. This program is a bit unstable especially 2.0. 0.9a was usable :)
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Which branch are your tryin to run. For krishmav branch, its targeted for .NET 4.0, so you wont be able to use vs 2008. Check if you have all the references included in the project. As for krishmav branch, I can tell you there is no limitation on running in VC# express. I started the project with express edition only and then moved to VS Ultimate. Lemme know the errors you are getting while debugging the same. FYI, the MediaScout release 2.0 is based on krishmav branch, not the main MediaScout Branch.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I just checked it out of the SVN. Before i downloaded the zip file. I think it all is the same though. I started loading up your branch krishmav. First thing it does is it pops up "The source control provider associated wit this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under cource control. Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from the projects?" I click no. Next error I get "Solution folders are not supported in this version of the application. Soution folder 'Solution Items' will be displayed as unavailable." I click OK.

Now the sourcecode is loaded. I got 4 warnings.
"1 File 'ProcessAllMoviesDialog.xaml' cannot be found. 2 File 'SublightOptionsDialog.xaml' cannot be found. 3 The project file contains a property value that is not valid. 4 The referenced component 'System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit' could not be found.

I decide to try to run it with out changing anything. so I push "Start Debugging" (the play button).

"There were build errors. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build?" I click NO.

"Error    1    Source file 'C:\Users\...\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MediaScout\TVScout\Branches\krishmav\MediaScoutLibrary\ThumbCreator.cs' could not be opened ('Unspecified error ')    MediaScou"

Warning    2    Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit, Version=3.5.40128.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.    MediaScoutGUI

Error    3    File 'ProcessAllMoviesDialog.xaml' cannot be found.    MediaScoutGUI

Error    4    File 'SublightOptionsDialog.xaml' cannot be found.    MediaScoutGUI

Error    5    The project file contains a property value that is not valid.    MediaScoutGUI

Warning    6    The referenced component 'System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit' could not be found.

My first thought was that 2010 Express must not support something that your project is using. I have limited programming exp using, VB 6, and C++ with SDL, and PHP with mySQL. I figure C# can't be that tough to pick up, Though I've been procrastinating to try and learn. Anyhow if you see what my problem is maybe i can help a bit. :)

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2010 at 2:43 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2010 at 2:46 AM

The reference System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit has been removed from v2.0.7 onwards. Also, I checked, the source code wasnt getting properly uploaded as I am using TFS which doest detect offline changes. I'll upload the same with fresh set with new release 2.0.8. Also, you dont have worry about source control binding as its for others develoeprs on project, you can remove the same.